Here at Dassault Systèmes, we firmly believe that if we want to encourage our customers to improve their sustainability, we should lead by example. In Honor of Earth Day 2022, here are 10 ways we are committed to #InvestInOurPlanet.
- Our “Sustainability Compass.” Sustainable development is the very foundation of our corporate purpose to harmonize product, nature an life, and it’s what drives our strategy. Announced in 2021, our Sustainability Compass guides us through a 3-pronged approach: EXPERIENCE the change, HARMONIZE the portfolio, and COLLABORATE with stakeholders.
- Setting Science-based Targets. Working with the Science Based Targets initiative we have established greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets (SBTi) has approved its greenhouse gas emissions reduction targets in line with the Paris Agreement. This covers emissions from our own operations – scopes 1 and 2 – which are consistent with reductions required to keep warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius and targets for reducing emissions from business travel, employee commuting and our value chain – scope 3. Our carbon intensity decreased by 31%, to 2.8 tCO2-eq per full‑time equivalent, compared to 2020. We have also put reduction measures into place, such as new ways of working related to a flexible working policy.
- Smart offices. We use more than 75% of decarbonized electricity, thanks to the purchase of renewable energy attribute certificates. We’ve obtained IS0 50001 certification by putting in place Energy Management Systems for 31 of our sites in Europe. And 15 of our European sites are equipped with smart meters to monitor in real time the level and sources of our electricity consumption and their fluctuations.
- Recycling programs on campus. Many of our sites offer everyday, easy recycling of unwanted and used batteries, cell phones, florescent light bulbs and ink cartridges. Other sites run occasional eWaste drives where employees can bring personal items for proper recycling.
- Internal innovation. Last year we held our first internal internal innovation challenge. LEAP for SUSTAINABILBILITY@3DS tapped into the creative and innovative minds of our employees to accelerate the power of 3DS solutions to enable sustainable change. More than 100 passionate employees participated and seven teams moved into the solution building phase. Read about this program here, including the winning project UPCYCLERS, whose idea is to digitalize the battery upcycling chain from collection to second life to reduce the cost of upcycling, optimize waste management and make the industry profitable.
- Supporting sustainable external projects. The mission of our 3DEXPERIENCE Lab is to shape a new framework of open innovation that merges collective intelligence with a cross-collaborative approach to foster entrepreneurship and strengthen society’s future. Projects supported by the Lab include H2 Clipper, whose mission is transport freight 100% carbon-free for less than the cost of today’s air freight to achieve CO2-reduction targets by 2050 and Clean Sea Solutions, a group that is developing commercially and environmentally sustainable tech solutions for waterfront areas to prevent and reduce the inflow of marine plastic waste into the oceans. La Fondation Dassault Systèmes funds Research and Education projects focused on helping the planet, such as supporting a team of students and professors from Pimpri Chinchwad College of Engineering (PCCoE) working to develop a solar-electric passenger vehicle and EV solar charging station.
- Providing virtual twin solutions to reduce CO2 emissions. With Accenture, we co‑authored a study that reveals the critical role of virtual twins developed in our solutions. The research projects virtual twins can an estimated 7.5 GtCO2‑eq reduction in CO2 emissions between now and 2030 for five use cases. One way this comes about: virtual twins reduce physical testing and increase virtual testing, optimize factory operations and simulate the environmental impact of a product or process which helps limit footprint and increase handprint.
- Focus on selling sustainable products. A key way of increasing our handprint, 2/3 of our revenue from new licenses is generated by sustainability solutions. We recently launched a life cycle assessment solution that helps our customers to manage their science-based target scopes and challenge our customers on four topics: Decarbonization, Circular Economy, Sustainable Production and Energy Use.
- Choosing sustainable suppliers. 23% of our suppliers have set science-based targets for CO2 emissions; we’ve set a goal to increase this to 52% by 2025.
- Enabling companies who prioritize sustainable innovation. Here are some of of favorite examples:
No action is too small! All people, organizations and countries must join forces to working together to make a real impact for the future of our planet.