The past several years have seen a surge in innovation across the automotive industry, with the greatest shake-up in the status-quo coming from Electric Vehicles (EV) with Tesla leading the charge. But it isn’t just the change from traditional gas engines to electric. The entire market is seeing changes.
Autonomous vehicles are under development by traditional auto suppliers as well as technology companies such as Google. The notions of “what a car looks like” and “how a car operates and interacts with passengers its surroundings” are all being transformed. And the processes for how those cars are designed, manufactured, and even marketed to buyers are all being transformed.
One constant component across auto manufacturers of all sizes during this new era of innovation has been Dassault Systèmes’ software. Long time leaders like Ford, as well as new companies like Tesla and Waymo, are Dassault Systèmes customers. In fact almost every single EV today is being built using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform.
As automakers see the rapid transformation in their market, they are looking for new ways to compete. For example, Honda looked for a way to manufacture their products faster. Using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to create a digital replica of its factories – complete with real-time data from machines in operation fed back into the digital replica – Honda is able to bring its vehicles to market faster than ever before.
Amidst this explosion of electric vehicles, demand for tech-enabled experience-focused transportation, and new ride-sharing challenging traditional concepts of vehicle usage, the competition to deliver innovative cars on-time and under-budget has never been higher. Here’s a snapshot of some of the companies using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to drive the automotive industry forward.
- , our longtime partner, uses the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to eliminate data boundaries, compress lead times and reduce costs in the development of its electric vehicles, including the Model S and Model 3.
- BluTec, an Italian auto supplier, is deploying the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to train employees on sustainable industrial innovation. The manufacturer is using Dassault Systèmes’ “Electro Mobility Accelerator” industry solution to imagine, design, simulate and deliver new hybrid and electric vehicle concepts.
- VE Commercial Vehicles Limited (VECV), a joint venture between the Volvo Group and Eicher Motors Limited, is applying the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to cost-effectively develop and deliver innovative, high-quality trucks and buses to the growing commercial vehicle market in India.
- Rimac Automobili is using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to quickly design and develop high-performance electric vehicles, drivetrains and battery systems, including the next generation of its Concept One fully electric super sports car.
- Startup Kreisel Electric is using the 3DEXPERIENCE platform to create and deliver lightweight, compact and high-performance battery solutions, powertrains, charging technology and software as it works to integrate electric drive into cars, buses, commercial vehicles and bikes.
But it’s not just the creation of the automobiles that is change. Companies like Ford and PSA are changing how they market their products with innovative experiences like assembling a Mustang on top of the Empire State building and enabling auto show attendees to a take a “virtual” test drive.
To learn more about our work with leading auto companies and to see our industry solutions on display, be sure to stop by our booth at CES 2018 (Booth #8300, LVCC, North Hall), where we’ll have the technology from Kreisel Electric on display. We’ll also be at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit later in January – hope to see you there!