Resilient Manufacturing Blog Series, Part 1
The hunger for transformation among industry players is at an all-time high. But at the same time, organizations want lower risk options to digitalize the shop floor. In order to reduce the number of isolated, inflexible solutions, manufacturers will want to seek a connected, scalable and sustainable platform approach that enables them to simultaneously maintain high levels of throughput, quality and customer service—while creating opportunities for sustainable innovation. This is where a Manufacturing Operations Management (MOM) solution comes into play.
What Is Manufacturing Operations Management (MOM)?
A strong MOM environment on the shop floor is at the heart of digital transformation as this is where the product, business and operational functions of the enterprise intersect. MOM goes beyond traditional manufacturing execution systems (MES) as it involves automating, executing and managing the performance of all business processes relevant to manufacturing execution. This includes manufacturing production, quality, warehousing, the workforce and maintenance.
From design to build to support, digitalizing the entire manufacturing process with MOM enables manufacturers to gain global supply chain visibility to control and synchronize their operations with respect to these key modules.
- Production: to boost operational efficiency, accelerate New Product Introduction (NPI) and reduce cost of quality and compliance.
- Quality: to enhance genealogy, traceability and containment as well as facilitate continuous process improvement.
- Warehouse management: to synchronize material flow to production in real time, improve operations performance and quality and enable a demand-driven enterprise.
- Maintenance: to synchronize maintenance across all operations, increase equipment uptime, improve manufacturing productivity and quality, reduce maintenance costs and expand maintenance productivity and effectiveness to offline locations.
- Time & labor: to optimize time and attendance tracking and eliminate paper tracking and manual data entry.
Beyond traditional business process accelerators, the optimal MOM solution functions as a comprehensive and core platform for manufacturing excellence. It helps establish a Center of Excellence (CoE) to drive process improvement configuration, distribution and governance, resulting in greater standardization with less effort. Manufacturing leaders can leverage MOM and operational intelligence to unify data to identify opportunities for improvement and cost reduction. With a common platform approach to all operations, they can scale resources, enable centralized management of the system and standardize processes and best practices across sites. This eliminates custom systems and enables scalable continuous improvement initiatives on a global scale.
Powered by the 3DEXPERIENCE platform, DELMIA MOM creates a foundation for digital transformation that is unified, flexible, scalable, secure and provides real-time availability to critical manufacturing data for responsive decision-making.
Visit the DELMIA blog again for the second part of this post, which will include critical complementary technologies manufacturers should consider to support a well-formed MOM-driven strategy and operations.
Learn more about how Manufacturing Operations Management with DELMIA can help your organization achieve manufacturing resilience by downloading our eBook.