While the two terms are used synonymously, manufacturing operations management (MOM) differs from manufacturing execution systems (MES) in the sense that it covers a much broader scope of capabilities, which includes quality, warehousing / logistics, equipment maintenance, as well as time and labor. The scope of capabilities offered by MOM solutions today has become essential in helping manufacturing companies stay one step ahead of their unique industry challenges.
This is especially true in Industrial Equipment manufacturing, where the industry is expected to face a rapid rise in demand over the next five years. Increasing demand for customized orders combined with challenges such as a lack of agility, poor data maturity, organizational silos, supply chain instability, workforce shortage and conflicting sustainability goals have led to increasing complexity for an already complex industry.
The situation today has made it imperative for Industrial Equipment manufacturers to turn to options for connected, integrated and scalable MOM solutions that can meet their unique needs. But what sort of features define game-changing solutions out of all the MOM solutions available in the market today?
- The ability to build on existing business processes Every Industrial Equipment manufacturer has slightly different needs, so it is important for their MOM solution to be able to configure and execute process improvements through a Center of Excellence (COE). DELMIA MOM features Process Builder, a Business Process Management (BPM) application that helps manufacturers establish and maintain their unique business processes, ensuring excellent operational flexibility on a global scale.
- Enabling an actionable virtual twin with augmented reality (AR) Thanks to the latest developments in AR technology, Industrial Equipment manufacturers have tremendous opportunities to drive significant improvement in assembly operations and quality control. New AR capabilities offered by DELMIA extend 3D models from the Virtual Twin Experience into the real world to provide visual guidance for error-free operational execution. In the same vein, these capabilities extend to AR-assisted quality operations, which can speed up inspection time by 40% and help operators identify non-conformances far earlier in the production cycle with greater efficiency. The combination of these capabilities drives business value by significantly reducing the error rate to unlock “first-time-right” manufacturing—saving a lot of time and unwanted costs in production and enabling faster skill ramp-up for new operators.
- The ability to democratize data Industry leaders enjoy a competitive advantage when they are able to use operational intelligence to identify opportunities for process improvements and cost reduction. With DELMIA Manufacturing Process Intelligence (MPI), Industrial Equipment manufacturers gain end-to-end visibility across global operations with sufficiently granular data in the right context, allowing for comparison and analysis that can support leaders to make smarter decisions, faster.
- A scalable and flexible solution Few organizations are equipped to develop global strategies that can be consistently executed in all their facilities at a local level, as most manufacturing IT architectures are too inflexible as a multi-site platform and too expensive to reconfigure. As a single integrated platform, DELMIA MOM enables Industrial Equipment manufacturers to have centralized management of their systems, scale their resources and standardize processes and best practices across global facilities.
- The ability to govern and deploy manufacturing processes as needed The complexities and costs of maintaining a distributed IT system traditionally increase with more locations, process changes and affected IT systems. DELMIA supports Industrial Equipment manufacturers in this process by offering the ability to centrally manage business processes and deploy them to the field—without coding or taking down the system to install new software at each site.
Powered by the 3DEXPERIENCE platform, DELMIA MOM creates a foundation for digital transformation that is unified, flexible, scalable, secure and provides real-time availability to critical manufacturing data for responsive decision-making. A strong MOM environment on the shop floor is at the heart of digital transformation as this is where the product, business and operational functions of the enterprise intersect and is, arguably, where a solid digital platform is needed most.
Learn more about digital transformation and how DELMIA MOM equips your organization to create greater business value in Industrial Equipment manufacturing. Read the eBook now: Drive Resilient Execution in Industrial Equipment Manufacturing.